top of page
race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

Montana Auto Collection

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1886 Benz Replica

Untitled design (1).png

The 1886 Benz was the first successful internal combustion-engine motor vehicle. Karl Benz developed the engine in January 1886. Gottlieb Daimler and engineer Willhelm Maybach's converted a carriage and added Benz's petrol engine the same year.

This one-of-a-kind working model was constructed from the original 1886 schematics for the 100th anniversary of the Damiler-Benz Motor Company in 1989.

Damiler-Benz Motor Company eventually would use the brand name Mercedes-Benz on their automobiles.

Benz-Patent-1886-motorwagen-the-first-motorcar.jpg
Carl_Benz.webp

In 1888, without the permission of her husband, Bertha Benz embarked on the first long distance road trip with her two teenage sons to show the world its practicality in society. They travelled almost 112 miles from Mannheim to Pforzheim, Germany. This resulted in Benz & Cie. in Mannheim to become the world's largest automobile plant of its day.

maxresdefault.jpg
race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1903 Ford Model A Runabout

Ford 1903.png

After being ousted from the Henry Ford Company in 1902, Henry Ford quickly organized the Ford Motor Company, proving that the third time is charmed. This car is the first factory production model, and it successfully launched Henry Ford and his company into the largest, most successful car company in the world for nearly 25 years. Like most early cars, parts were purchased from a variety of suppliers and assembled in an old warehouse.

Henry-Ford-with-a-car-770x604.jpg
EdmontonArchive.jpg

Specifications

 

List Price: $850.00

Weight: 1250 Pounds

Top Speed: 30 Miles Per Hour

2 Cylinder, Water-Cooled Engine

8 Horsepower

72 Inch Wheelbase

Planetary Transmission

Chain Drive

2 Forward Speeds, 1 Reverse

This vehicle was acquired from Wes Reed in Odessa, Texas in 1999 and is on loan to the museum by Sherman Anderson

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1907 Schacht

This high wheel buggy afforded its proud owner a great deal of clearance for the very poor roads of the day. Schacht was an old time buggy builder who produced automobiles from 1904-1913 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Schacht produced over 9,000 cars before the company re-organized as the Schacht Motor Truck Company in June 1913 and continued producing trucks until the late thirties.

Untitled design.png

Unlike some other high-wheel vehicles, the Schacht had a steering wheel (instead of a tiller) and its engine was water-cooled as attested to by its prominent brass radiator. Marketed as the "invincible car," the Schacht enjoyed considerable popularity during the few years that high-wheelers were in demand.

This vehicle was priced around $650.00, equivalent to $21,171.00 in 2022

Advertisement.jpg

Specifications

2 Cylinder, Water-Cooled Engine

10/12 Horsepower

Wheelbase 66"

618 Production Total In 1907

This vehicle was acquired from Wes Reed in Odessa, Texas in 1999 and on loan to the museum by Sherman Anderson

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1908 Ford Model S Runabout

Ford 1903.png

The 1908 Ford Model S was the last Ford built with a right hand drive in the U.S.A. The small seat in the back was known as the mechanic's seat; although more humorously, it was called the mother-in-law's seat. Ford continued to produce models K, N, R, and S for the model year 1908 until October when production of the Model T began. In June of 1908, it was announced that Ford workers had broken all automobile manufacturing records by building more than 100 complete Model "N" and "S" Ford machines in one ten hour working day.

1908_Moline_Model_S_advertisement_-_Cycle_and_Automobile_Trade_Journal.jpg

This vehicle was acquired from Wes Reed in Odessa, Texas in 1999 and on loan to the museum by Sherman Anderson

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1909 Hupmobile Model 20 Runabout

Hupmobile Logo.png

This two-passenger runabout was produced in Detroit, Michigan by the Hupp Motor Car Company. Founded in 1908 by Robert Craig Hupp, a former employee of Oldsmobile and Ford, the company produced cars until the 1940's. First entering production in 1909, the Model 20 had a four-cylinder, four stroke, water cooled engine providing less than 20 horsepower. The transmission was a 2-speed sliding-gear type, and it had a rectangular 11-gallon gas tank mounted behind the seats. It sold for $750.00, making it even less expensive than the Ford Model T.

Model 20's were produced until 1913. The company's philosophy was to build a car in the working man's price range. That idea, along with a strong commitment to quality and workmanship, produced many years of dependable, tough and durable machines.

David_Dunbar_Buick.jpg

Robert C. Hupp

00_19_39.jpg
00_19_48.jpg
00_21_56.jpg
i591230.jpg

1909 Hupmobile Model 20 in the movie 'A Jitney Elopement' starring Charlie Chaplin

This vehicle was acquired from Wes Reed in Odessa, Texas in 1999 and on loan to the museum by Sherman Anderson

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1910 Ford Model T Runabout

1911.jpg

The 1910 Model T Runabout was unchanged from 1909 except for a number of mechanical modifications in the rear axle. All 1910 Model T's had windshields. Serial numbers started approximately 11146, ending 31532. There was no break between 1910 and 1911 cars.

5 Fun Facts About The Model T

 

1. The Model T is nicknamed "Tin Lizzie" with the body of the vehicle being made of wood and covered with a thin sheet of metal.

2. The Model T was famous for the stunts that it could perform like climbing the steps of the Tennessee State Capitol and reaching the top of Pikes Peak

3. In the later versions of this vehicle, Ford offered an electric starter instead of a crank starter, yet nobody wanted it because of the high added cost.

4. In Kansas, back when only two roads existed in the entire state, two Model T's managed to crash into each other at the only intersection.

5. The Model T was first tested by Henry Ford himself on a hunting trip in Wisconsin and Michigan. 

Tourabout-river.jpg

Specifications

List Price $900.00

Weight 890 lbs

Engine L head, four cast iron block

Displacement 176.7 in.

Horsepower 22 @ 1600 RPM's

Compression Ratio 4.5:1

Bore and Stroke 3 3/4 x 4

Wheelbase 100 inches

Tires 30" x 3 1/2" rear, 30" x 3" front

On loan from John Bourke of Lewistown, Montana. As with all of Mr. Bourke's cars, time and care are taken to restore these classics to their original beauty. John has been active in, and responsible for, numerous restorations and is a prime example of superior workmanship. Total production in 1910 of the Model T Runabout was 1,486. This auto has a planetary transmission with two speeds forward and one reverse.

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1910 Overland

Overland_1909_logo.jpg

This car is one of 15,598 Overlands produced in 1910 in Toledo, Ohio by the Willys-Overland Company. The car features an inline four-cylinder with dual spark ignition on each cylinder. Overlands were right-hand drives until 1915

Specifications

Engine Inline 4-Cylinder

Horsepower 35 @ 650 RPM

This car is on loan from Buz and Judy Cowdrey of Bozeman, MT

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1912 Buick Model 35 Four

Buick 1911.png

David Dunbar Buick developed a method of affixing porcelain to cast iron and gave the world the white bathtub. He sold out to Standard Sanitary Mfg. Co. and in 1904 tried to produce a car. He quickly ran out of money, but William Crapo Durant bought the company in November of 1904 and turned it into a very successful enterprise. In 1908, Durant used Buick as the base for another company, General Motors.

By 1910, Durant had over extended General Motors by buying up other car companies and the banks agreed to loan more money only if Durant would step down. Durant then joined with Louis Chevrolet to form another car company, but that's another story.

In 1912, Charles Nash was President of Buick until November when he was appointed President of General Motors and Walter P. Chrysler took over Buick. All of these men helped make buick a huge success.

David_Dunbar_Buick.jpg

David D. Buick

WilliamCDurant.jpg

William C. Durant

Charles_Williams_Nash.jpg

Charles Nash

Walter p chrysler.jpg

Walter P. Chrysler

Specifications

4 Cylinder, 22.5 Horsepower

3 Speed, Selective Sliding Gear Transmission

Bore 3.75, Stroke 3.75

Wheelbase 120"

Retail Price $1000.00

Weight 2100 lbs.

6,050 production total for Model 35 in 1912

This vehicle was acquired from Wes Reed in Odessa, Texas in 1999 and on loan to the museum by Sherman Anderson

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1912 Flanders Model 20 Runabout

Named for Walter Flanders, formerly a production manager for Ford, these cars were built from 1910 - 1912. To illustrate how crazy the automobile business was in the early days, in 1908, Flanders was the F in the E-M-F cars which were distributed by the wagon-building Studebaker Brothers. In 1910, Flanders organized the Flanders Mfg. Co. and produced the Flanders Model 20. In 1911, the company introduced the Flanders Electric. By the end of 1912, Studebaker had taken over both E-M-F and Flanders Mfg. Co. and all these cars became Studebakers.

In 1913, Flanders organized a "new" Flanders Motor Company and produced a Flanders Six but only a handful were produced and Walter Flanders went to work for the United States Motor Company which was trying to emulate General Motors. Flanders insisted the company buy out his company and scrap every weak company in the organization.

In the end, Flanders scrapped even his own car and was left with just one car, the Maxwell. In 1925, Maxwell morphed into the Chrysler Corporation.

s12 (2).png
Walter_E._Flanders_(American_automobile_executive).jpg
flandersi.jpg

Walter Flanders

Flanders 20 Advertisement

Specifications

4 Cylinder, Water Cooled Engine

20 Horsepower

102" Wheelbase

Acquired from Wes Reed in Odessa, TX in 1999. This vehicle is on loan to the Montana Auto Collection by Sherm Anderson.

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1913 Cadillac

Originally organized as the Henry Ford Company, the major stockholders canned Henry Ford and brough in Henry M. Leland to appraise the automobile plant and equipment so they could sell it. Leland convinced them to use an engine he designed and continue under the name Cadillac. In 1909, Durant bought Cadillac for General Motors but wisely left Leland in charge. In 1912, Cadillac introduced the first electric starter and electric lights. In 1920, Leland organized the Lincoln Car Company which Henry Ford rescued from receivership in 1923.

Henry_Leland.jpg

Henry M. Leland

Specifications

4 Cylinder, 32.4 Horsepower

Selective Sliding Gear Transmission

Bore 4 1/2, Stroke 5 3/4

Wheelbase 120"

Retail Price $1,975.00

Production In 1913, 15,018

This vehicle was acquired from Wes Reed in Odessa, Texas in 1999 and on loan to the museum by Sherman Anderson

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1913 Cole 60

Logo-Cole-500x281.png

1913 was the first year for "Delco" electric lights and starter. Cole built 10 different models in 1913. It is estimated that Cole made approximately 100 of these models in 1913. This Cole is unrestored in original condition. At this time this car is the only known survivor of this model to exist. It was purchased in 1959.

Don Greytak featured this car in his drawing of a family crossing the Jefferson River bridge on the Yellowstone trail located west of Three Forks, Montana. This Cole is a 7 passenger Touring car.

Specifications

List Price $2,485.00

Engine Northway 6 Cylinder

Horsepower 40

Bore & Stroke 4 1/8 x 4 3/4

Transmission 3-Speed

Compression Ratio 6.3:1

Wheelbase 132 Inches

Tires 37 x 4 1/2

This vehicle is on loan to the Montana Auto Collection by Randolph R. Vogel & Family of Townsend, MT

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1914 Detroit Electric Car

Detroit-electric_1912_logo.jpg

The Anderson Carriage Company, established in Port Huron, Michigan in 1884 was moved to Detroit by its founder in 1885. The first Detroit Electric car was built in 1917. The electric car business prospered, and in 1911 the firm was renamed the Anderson Electric Car Company. However, the cars were still known as Detroit Electrics. The company was always careful to insist that its product was not a touring car even though it gave an excellent performance in endurance runs. It was an urban vehicle, one for women drivers especially, that the Detroit enjoyed most of its commercial success. 80 miles between charges was the figure generally advertised for these cars, but in a company sponsored test, a Detroit Electric ran 211.3 miles on a single charge. In 1913, Detroit Electrics were built for a while under license in Scotland by Arrol-Johnson. In 1919, the company name was changed to Detroit Electric. Production of these cars continued until at least as late as 1938. Then, sometime before World War II, America's most famous and long-lived electric car quietly disappeared from the automotive scene.

- 3rd edition, Standard Catalog of American Cars

1905-1942

detroitbigvol.jpg

Magazine ad for the Detroit Electric Automobile made by Anderson Electric Car Company

This vehicle is on loan to the Museum by Sherman and Bonnie Anderson of Deer Lodge, MT

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1914 Ford Model T Speedster

Untitled design (2).png

The Model T was a very plain car with no embellishments; therefore, the creativity of speedsters and custom-built cars was in the hands of the owner who was offered a great variety of bodies, parts and accessories by a large number of producers. Rajo and Frontenac were two of the biggest producers of parts to increase the speed and versatility of the Fords.

s12 (1).png

Specifications

Needless to say, any young man who was fortunate enough to become the owner of a Model T spent many, many hours learning the mechanics of his auto and rebuilding it to his own specifications. The Rajo (whose emblem you see on the radiator of this speedster) Velve- In-Head was advertised as increasing Ford mileage by 50%

This vehicle is on loan from John Bourke of Lewiston, MT. Restored by John Bourke.

"The first Model T's had barely appeared on the streets in 1908 before men were re-arranging the parts to make them go faster and look different."

                         

                                                     - Lorin Sorensen

                                                                  "The Good Old Fords"

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1915 Ford Model T

Untitled design (2).png

The Ford Model T has an extensive history in the automotive market lasting nearly 20 years. It is often called the 'Tin Lizzie' and the 'Flivver' and is credited with 'putting America on wheels.' During the early 1900's, the automobile was very new and the market place was adjusting to having horseless carriages carry its passengers rather than bicycles or horses. Steam, electricity, and gasoline were the three means of powering the vehicles. Up until about 1915, no one really knew which would be the favorable power-source. Steam provided many benefits such as being quiet, clean, and cheap. Gasoline or kerosene fuel was used to heat water in a boiler; the steam produced was channeled to the cylinders, where the pressure drives the pistons up and down. This is a gasoline powered Model T.

i877053.jpg

1915 Ford Model T in the Peaky Blinders TV Series

Specifications

List Price $405.00 - $980.00

Weight 1500 Pounds

Engine 4 Cylinder

Horsepower 20 BHP @ 1600 RPM

Bore & Stroke 3.8 x 4.0 inches

Displacement 176.7 Cubic Inches

This Ford Touring is on loan from Randolph R. Vogel of Townsend, MT

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1916 Dodge Brothers Touring Car

Dodge Brothers.png

John and Horace Dodge formed Dodge Brothers in 1914. Their new goal was to produce their own line of vehicles. Previously, the brothers' Detroit machine shop built engines and transmissions for Olds and Ford. The first car left the factory by November 14, 1914. This was a Model 30-35 Touring, exactly like this 1916 model. The Dodge Brothers built 45,000 cars in 1915, a record for a first year production. The company became the fourth largest automobile manufacturer by 1916. John and Horace both died in 1920. Eight years later, Chrysler purchased the company. The Dodge Brothers name was shortened to Dodge by 1930.

John_and_Horace_Dodge_portrait_Chrysler_Archives_1.jpg

Horace and John Dodge

Specifications

List Price $785.00

Weight 2200 Pounds

Engine L-Head, Cast Iron, 4 Cylinder

Horsepower 35

Displacement 212.2 Cubic Inches

Compression Ratio 4.0:1

Bore & Stroke 3 7/8 x 4 1/2

Wheelbase 110 Inches

This vehicle is on loan from the estate of Marcia M. Rux

Special thanks to:

Tara Jensen - Billings, MT

Mike Rux - Great Falls, MT

Ken Rux - Newport, WA

Judith Bunnell - Suffield, CT

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1917 Oakland Touring Convertible

Oakland 1917.png

Known as the Oakland Sensible Six, the design for this car was originally a 2 cylinder engine. This car has a vertical engine that rotates counter clockwise. The planetary transmission was unusual for its lack of braking bands. Clutches running in oil was the substitute. The car was painted with a nitro-cellulose lacquer, usually a shade of blue. This Oakland was then promoted as the True Blue Oakland Six.

Oakland 1917 76.jpg

1917 Oakland Sensible Six Sedan Ad

Specifications

List Price $875.00

Weight 2,150 Pounds

Engine 6 Cylinder

Displacement 177

Compression Ratio 41 H.P.

Bore & Stroke 1373", 4 3/4

Vear Hansen purchased this car in 1977. His parents owned a vehicle similar to this one when he was born in 1926. Mr. Hansen passed away in 2003

This car is on loan in the loving memory of Mr. Hansen by his daughter and son-in-law, Kelly and James Mason of Southbury, Connecticut.

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1929 Hudson

Hudson labeled its 1929 model as "The Greatest Hudson." All Hudson's had bodies approximately four inches longer in 1929. Among the styling highlights were larger windshields of shatterproof glass and narrower corner posts.

"My father, Kevin Iverson, restored this car. He was a Hudson dealer from 1945 to 1954. Although he restored many cars, the Hudson was his favorite. Ken passed away September 1, 1998. It is our hope that many people will appreciate his special car."

                                                                - Paul Iverson

hudson 29.png
1929 Hudson 5 Passenger Phaeton.jpg

Specifications

List Price $1,375.00

Weight 3795 lbs

Engine F-Head Inline 6 Cylinder

Horsepower 92 @ 3200 RPM

Bore & Stroke 3 1/5 x 5 Inches

Displacement 288.5 Cubic Inches

Compression Ratio 5.0:1

Wheelbase 122.50 Inches

This vehicle has been donated to the Montana Auto Collection by Paul Iverson. With great appreciation we are glad to be able to share this car with our many guests for years to come.

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1932 Plymouth Coupe "PB"

s12.png

Although the Model PB saw one of Plymouth's shortest production years, it was without a doubt Plymouth's zenith of four-cylinder car production. It is the most collectable of all 4-cylinder models. An optional high-compression cylinder head gave the car great performance.

The wheelbase was increased in 1932, and the hood stretched from a chrome radiator shell over the cowl to the windshield, to give the car a distinctive style and long appearance.

i476170.jpg

A 1932 Plymouth Coupe Convertible PB in Leave It To Beaver

Options Available

- Front and Rear Bumpers (Package)

5.50 x 17 Inch Wire Wheels (Set of 5)

Specifications

List Price $595.00

Engine Inline 4 Cylinder Valve In Block

Horsepower 65

Wheelbase 112 Inches

Weight 2595 lbs

This vehicle is on loan from Tony and Cathy Pfaff of Deer Lodge, MT

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1932 Studebaker President Model 91 Sedan

s1_edited.jpg

This 1932 Studebaker 91 President State Sedan underwent a comprehensive restoration. It is powered by a 337 ci inline 8-cylinder engine with a Stromberg updraft carburetor mated to a 3-speed manual transmission. Finished in Brown the exterior sports dual front wind reflectors, dual side-mounted spares, dual spare mounted mirrors, and dual brake lights. The tan cloth interior boasts Stewart-Warner gauges set in a wooden dash and a polished metal instrument panel. Additionally, it features a rear luggage rack, steering wheel mounted light switch and steel artillery-style wheels with whitewall tires.

Specifications

Engine Straight 8

Horsepower 91 @ 3200 RPM

Bore & Stroke 3.5" x 4.37"

Displacement 337 Cubic Inches

Composition Ratio 5.1:1

Wheelbase 135 Inches

On loan from Sherm and Bonnie Anderson of Deer Lodge, MT.

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1932 Chrysler Cl Convertible

32 chrysler.png

This 1932 Chrysler CI Briggs Body convertible is powered by a 223cl inline-6 engine mated to a 3-speed manual transmission. This car underwent a concours-quality restoration. The car sports Briggs Body #516-100 and has won numerous awards over the years.

chrysler 1932 imperial covert.jpg

Specifications

List Price $965.00 - $1,125.00

Weight 3040 lbs

Engine 6-Cylinder

Horsepower 82 @ 3400 RPM

Bore & Stroke 3.3 x 4.5

Displacement 223.9 CUI

Compression Ratio 5.35:1

Wheelbase 106 Inches

This Chrysler is on loan by Sherm and Bonnie Anderson of Deer Lodge, MT

race-track-flag-2035566_1280.jpg

1941 Packard 110 Special Touring Sedan

Packard, one of America's more prestigious auto makers, saw blockbuster sales in 1940, and rolled out the popular, and more affordable, 110 series in 1941. Over the years 1935 to 1942, more than 479,000 "junior" Packards were produced. These less expensive cars probably kept the company afloat during the Great Depression.

The 110 Special came as a business coupe, a club coupe, touring sedan, convertible, station wagon and a taxi-cab with deluxe versions available for all but the business coupe. The body style was more aerodynamic than in previous years, with optional concealed running boards. A electro-matic semi-automatic clutch and overdrive was optional, and two-tone paint schemes were offered.

Packard-logo.png
s-l1600.jpg

1941 Packard Magazine Ad

Specifications

List Price $1,136.00

Weight 3250 Pounds

Engine In-Line 6 Cylinder

Horsepower 100 at 3200 RPM

Bore & Stroke 3 - 1/2 x 4 1/4 Inches

Displacement 245 Cubic Inches

Compression Ratio 6.39:1

Wheelbase 122

This Vehicle was first purchased in Plains, MT and is on loan to the Montana Suto Collection by Douglas Bachman of Whitehall, MT and his sister Joan Kuklenski of Seattle, WA.

bottom of page